Harefield Celebrate 75 years of Cricket at Woods Cricket Ground
Our ground in Breakspear Road North was conveyed to the National Playing Fields Association in 1937 for the use of Harefield Cricket Club inperpetuity by Walter Wood after whom our ground is named. Walter played for the British Legion Cricket Club in the village, the forerunner of Harefield CC.
The ground as we know it today was part of the Estate of a local "Big House" which was bequeathed in 1935 by owner Mr Avery Tipping to Walter and his brother who were employed as gardeners on the Estate.
After the further conveyance of the land by Walter Wood the ground was cleared and laid as a cricket field by the players of the British Legion.
The first match was played on Woods Cricket Ground in the summer of 1937 by the newly formed Harefield Cricket Club which has grown and thrived to this day.